[Gmsh] Gmsh v1.58.0 automatically quit during adding new surface

zhoujun zhoujun at cs.inf.shizuoka.ac.jp
Thu Jan 13 10:56:06 CET 2005

Dear professor,

I am a student new to Gmsh.
My OS is WinXP SP2,current Gmsh version is
1.58.0.(package:gmsh-1.58.0-Windows downloaded from
http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/ on Jan. 10th 2005)

When I was using Gmsh to draw a simple geometry which is a 3D cube like
shape with the exception that the value of height( Z axis value) is very
small compared with both the width and length, there was some unpleasant
thing happened. During the "Add elements" process (I mean when adding new
lines and surfaces),I had to use the "Shift key & mouse" to zoom the
corresponding parts in case of that I was able to choose the very short
lines that I wanted.However, during the process, Gmsh automatically qiuted
without any warning message, after that I had to restart Gmsh, the same
thing happened again several times.

I am wondering what was the reason,since I only have one "Cygwin1.dll"on my
system,(but I didnot work under the /home/user/directory instead of working
under the directoy on cygdrive/c/ where the Gmsh.exe exsits.). Would you
mind teaching me what is the possible reason and how to deal with it.

Frankly speaking, Gmsh is a perfect package for drawing and meshing,the
working process are both intuitive and heuristic even though I have no
experience on CAD system. I hope if flexiable zoom function will be added to
the GUI menu in the future version and it zooms the  region only necessary.
At the same time, I want to read part of the *.msh file info. to generate a
new text based mesh info. file for my program. I read the Gmsh instruction
manual and understood the meaning of differient byte-segment in the .msh
file. Is there somewhat simple method to extract only the node coordinate
info. and final mesh element info by using Java.Would you mind giving me
some advices.

Looking forward to your kind reply.

Have a nice day.

Zhou Jun