[Gmsh] GMSH - meshing

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Sat Jan 28 00:31:13 CET 2006

Raya Schindmes wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam.
>

> My name is Raya Schindmes, a researcher in neurophysiology group of
> University College London (London, UK) medical physics department. We
> are developing a new non-invasive neuro-imaging technique based on
> electrical impedance (EIT).
> For our finite element modelling and reconstruction purposes we use
> volume meshes which we segment manually out of anatomical images.
> However, our procedure is inefficient and inaccurate.
>
> So far, I have a very fine surface mesh (marching cubes, I suspect) for
> brain, inner skull, outer skull and CSF. The files are in dfs format,
> and it’s possible to save the vertices in ascii format (points cloud).
>
> I would like to generate them into conform tetrahedral volume meshes.
> This means, to have one volume mesh with more than one material, when
> the borders between the materials are the surfaces that I have.
>

> I am interested whether GMSH can perform this task (to deal with multi
> material mesh)?

Have a look e.g. at the toy problem "demos/sphere-discrete.geo": in this
problem Gmsh is used to mesh the interior of a sphere, whose surface
mesh is given as the input data.

New versions of Gmsh can also remesh the surface grid (in order to
enhance the original discretization), but this is still experimental.
There is an example in the wiki under "STL remeshing".