[Gmsh] Unable to mesh layered sphere with netgen algorithm

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:13:42 CET 2006

Julian Swartz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the NETGEN algorithm to mesh a layered sphere (.geo
> file attached). It is stated that all surface normals need to be
> outwardly directed in order for the NETGEN algorithm to work. The
> layered spheres are built by extruding semicircles in such a way that
> both the sphere and the outer layer consist of three volumes. I can
> ensure that the normals of the sphere outer surfaces are outward
> pointing by extruding in the direction of -theta. How should I treat the
> surfaces bounding the sides of the three segments making up the sphere?
> The concept of an outwardly directed normal seems to lose meaning here
> and thusfar all attempts to mesh the domain with NETGEN has resulted in
> gmsh crashing.
>
> Any ideas?

To change the orientations you just need to reference the surfaces with
the correct sign in the surface loops. Here is a modified version of
your geometry, with all the volumes defined in terms of surfaces having
outward normals.

(Obviously, we need to make this orientation step automatic. If you have
some spare time it would be great if you could help us out with that...)