[Gmsh] Characteristic Length and Netgen Element Size

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Wed Feb 1 21:41:54 CET 2006

Julian Swartz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try meshing the same domain with the Netgen algorithm, I get
> elements with an average edge length much larger than that obtained with
> the Gmsh isotropic algorithm. Why does this happen? The mesh size is
> controlled by defining all points with the same characteristic length.
> How can I get meshes with roughly the same average edge lengths from
> both meshing algorithms?

I don't know the internals of Netgen well enough to give a definite
answer, but my guess is that it should be possible to obtain equivalent
element sizes. At the moment we just call m->CalcLocalH() in
NgAddOn_GenerateVolumeMesh() (cf. contrib/Netgen/nglib_addon.cpp : this
file defines all the routines required by the gmsh-netgen interface).