[Gmsh] GMSH: Configure other Solvers & Custom Filters (Corrected)

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:16:02 CET 2006

ks3597 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just happened to see this wonderful software and intend using it with
> (Calculix) ccx.  However, I do not know how to do this.
>
> 1. I read on Google searches that gmsh can interface with several
> solvers and that one can configure it in the startup files (.gmsh-options
>  or .gmshrc?) or something like that.  Does somebody have an sample
> configuration file for this novice to use as a starting point?  These

First read section 6 in the FAQ. Then download the source code: there
are examples of C++, C, Python and Perl solvers in the utils/solvers
directory.

> two files exist in my home directory but upon examining them I found no
> reference to ".gmshsock" which appears in the "Options -> Solver ->
> General" menu.  This leads me to believe I do not know what I am doing!
>
> 2. It appears that "gmsh" can send output to a file using a "Custom
> Filter" (thus possibly output other formats) for which I could not find
> any info by Googling for several hours.  Can somebody help me as to how
> "Custom Filters" can be created, crafted or defined?

No, "Custum Filter" just defines a filter for selecting the filenames
(it's a default thing in the FLTK file chooser).

If you want to create a new output format, you'll have to modify the
source code.

Take care,

Christophe