[Gmsh] Meshing STL geometry

Alexandre Fallet alexandre.fallet at gpm2.inpg.fr
Wed Apr 19 16:42:25 CEST 2006

Hi !

First of all I'd like to thank you for this powerfull and usefull software. I'm a newbie and I'm currently still learning to work with GMSH. I'm dealing with 3D surfaces in STL format that I would use to generate volumetric mesh. I had a look on the wiki and tutorials but i didn't find any example of such a case.

Actually I succeed in meshing the volume from the STL surface mesh and now I'd like to control the size of the mesh. I guess that  version 1.64 has the ability to remesh STL surfaces, using mesh options to refine or to coarse the "initial" mesh. I found in the reference manual the signification of the parameters but some are not totally clear for me. So, my question is:

What means:
1. Edge prolongation threshold (Mesh.EdgeProlongationThreshold)
2. LC/Minimum element size (Mesh.MinimumElementSizeFact)
3. LC/Target element size (Mesh.TargetElementSizeFact)

I thank you in advance for your help !!!

Alexandre

Alexandre FALLET
Doctorant - Laboratoire GPM2
BP46