[Gmsh] Feature request/question

F.Caner fccaner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 10:17:31 CEST 2006

Hello Christophe,

I am using gmsh for about 4 months now, and I think it is very nicely
written; especially the idea of a .geo file appeals to me a lot.

One type of element that I use quite often is called ``interface
element" that is made up of two coincident surfaces; the constitutive
law is prescribed as a function of relative displacement of these
surfaces, and stresses are integrated over either bottom or the top
surface. That element cannot be generated using gmsh in a
straightforward manner.

Right now I am using gmsh with Geometry.AutoCoherence=0, so that I can
have two volumes with a common surface but with duplicate nodes; then I
use a python script to generate elements out of the matching nodes. Of
course, this also requires the two volumes to have their common surface
mesh to be aligned. All these I am trying to get using python scripts.

By now I started to think this effort is really too much, yet there is
no better option than gmsh, and eventually I am thinking that may be
this can be programmed into gmsh.

I am wondering how difficult it could be; in case it is not that
difficult, I am willing to offer my service to this end; or better yet,
if you could easily do it, I (and many other people) would be grateful.

Best,

Dr. Ferhun Caner
School of Civil Engineering
Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya