[Gmsh] gmsh newbie - OpenFOAM export

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Wed Jun 21 08:41:09 CEST 2006

Pei-Ying Hsieh wrote:

> Dear Dr. Geuzaine:
>
> Thanks for the great tool!  At first glance, gmsh looks like a very
> powerful mesh generator.
>
> I just started leaning gmsh.  Quickly looked through the tutorial files
> and played with them.  Now, I am going through the "thick" manual.
>
> I am using gmsh to generate mesh for OpenFOAM.  I am working on free
> surface flow which requires hex-dominated meshes.  I am planning to cut
> my complex geometry to pieces and mesh most of the volumes using Hex.
>  The few volumes that cannot be meshed using hex will be meshed using
> pyramid.  It looks like gmsh can handle this.  My main question is that,
> OpenFOAM also needs boundary face information so that BCs can be
> specified.  Is it possible to export the boundary surfaces and the
> element faces associated with each boundary surface?  How can this be
> done? Thanks!

Hi Pei - In Gmsh you can export the boundary face information by tagging
the boundary surfaces as "Physical Surfaces". The output mesh will then
contain the boundary triangles, with the associated physical surface
index number.

(PS: Beware that Gmsh does not contain an automatic hex generation
algorithm. Only extruded/transfinite grids can be made of hexes.)