[Gmsh] Mesh by physical

Duane Malcolm d.malcolm at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 5 23:00:22 CET 2006

Hi Christophe, hi Jean-François,

We are using Gmsh to a tree structure. But it takes too long to mesh the
entire tree at once.

So we have written a perl script that breaks the tree into individual
branches, generates a .geo file for each branch, run Gmsh on the .geo
file, and then rejoin all the branches by matching the face nodes.

We are thinking there must be a better way to do this in Gmsh.

Is there a better way you know of?

If not, I was thinking of meshing a geometry according to physical
volumes. Each branch would be a different physical volume and Gmsh would
loop through each physical volume and mesh it. Gmsh will maintain common
nodes at the face between branches. What do you think of this approach?

If you like it, can I implement it in the Gmsh code and can you give me
some pointers on where to start?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards, Duane Malcolm