[Gmsh] WG: newbie looking for feedback on using Gmsh as a ~ library to do pointcloud-->mesh & return results

Kubicek Bernhard Bernhard.Kubicek at arsenal.ac.at
Wed Feb 7 18:56:21 CET 2007

Writing code that gets your pointcloud to gmsh could be done easily. However, as long as your point clound is really a point cloud, and not structured somehow, the only surface that is well defined is the convex hull. Which, as the name indicates, is not too good for concave bodies. If you create the convex hull with some external tool (e.g. QHull ) you can then add the appropriate lines/faces to gmsh. Only after that you can mesh.
Basically, you need to create a program that creates the sub-surfaces, so gmsh can mesh it.
hope that helps.
nice greetings,
 bernhard