[Gmsh] Gmesh Question

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Apr 20 15:30:39 CEST 2007

Ruy Fernán Ruiz Mojica wrote:
> My Name is Ruy Fernán Ruiz, from Universidad Politecnica de Valencia in
> Spain and I am now working with your excellent software "Gmesh".
> I have my own 2D surface mesh generator and I would like to use the mesh
> generated by it as the input data for the 3D mesh generation with your
> software.
> I send the geometry to GMesh  and would like that it
> returns a volumetric mesh with no changes in my original surface mesh.
> How can I avoid that Gmesh change the contour elements (triangles) of my
> original mesh.

1) create your surface mesh in one of the mesh formats Gmsh can read,
like .msh, .unv, .stl... Say for example you have your surface mesh
test.stl.

2) then create a .geo file with the command

Merge "test.stl";
Surface Loop(1) = {1}; // change this depending on your mesh of course
Volume(1) = 1;

If you really want to make sure that the surface mesh does not get
changed at all, use Mesh.Algorithm=4. Otherwise use the default algo for
maximum speed.