[Gmsh] Mesh extrusion

Antoine Dechaume dechaume at ualberta.ca
Thu Apr 26 00:43:02 CEST 2007

Hello,

So far I used quite simple 10-points tetrahedral structured mesh
created by a program I was given, which basically creates hexahedron
and then split each one into 4 identical tetrahedron.

To check gmsh mesh, I ran a simulation for a test case. The results
are globally ok, but some values deviate from the expected ones. It
seems to me that the deviation comes from the fact that the mesh
created by gmsh is not "symmetric" ( I'm not sure how to qualify
this, though the deviated values lost symmetry in some sense ).

The mesh I used was created only by extrusion, the following small
example is similar :

Point(1) = { 0, 0 , 0 , 1 };

Extrude { 1 , 0 , 0 }
{Point{ 1 };Layers{{ 1  },{ 1. }};}

Extrude { 0 , 1 , 0 }
{Line{ 1 };Layers{ 1 },{ 1. }};}

Extrude { 0 , 0 , 1 }
{Surface{ 5 };Layers{{ 1 },{ 1. }};}

Then meshing this cube with second order linear tetrahedron will
create 6 elements which are not all identical, one point is also
created at the centre of the cube. ( 4 identical elements and no
centre point with the other meshing program ).

Strangely, meshing once more will change some of the elements !

Is there a way I can create a mesh such that this cube has 4
identical tetrahedron ?

Thanks,
Antoine.