[Gmsh] trouble re-ordering nodes in .msh file

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Oct 30 17:52:35 CET 2007

James Willie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using gmsh for making a finite element mesh. The mesh created is
> send to the hmd solver (www.lumanmagnum.net/physics/heldeneng
> <http://www.lumanmagnum.net/physics/heldeneng>) but then i am getting
> the following error message:
>
> ERROR: MSH file had bad format (tmpstr = ($Mes))
> ERROR: Load_Mesh:gmshread
>
> The suggesting given by the hmd user manual (hmd user manual page 41) is
> to use a script called reorder.awk to reorder the numbering of the
> nodes. When i use this, it still gives me the same error message.
>
> Any suggestion about what i should do?

Hello - My guess is that hmd probably only reads meshes in the older
Gmsh format (version 1). To save a mesh using this format,

* either select "Version 1.0" in the File->Save As->Gmsh mesh dialog

* or set "Mesh.MshFileVersion = 1;" in your .geo file (the default in
Gmsh >= 2.0.0 is Mesh.MshFileVersion = 2).

Christophe