[Gmsh] one noded elements

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Nov 20 18:35:19 CET 2007

Thomas S. Hille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed the newest version of gmsh (2.0.8), before I used 1.6.
>
> I see that you have changed the format of the msh file to what is now
> known as 2.0. Since I have to bring the mesh data into my own format I
> expect a specific format of this file as an input to my own conversion
> algorithm. Fortunately, I found out that when saving the file via Save
> As.. I have the choice for the old format 1.0.
>
> The problem is just that this is still different to what I was used to.
> Namely, the msh file contains now in the beginning ot the element list
> one noded elements. I have not had this output before. The amount of one
> noded elements is equal to the amount of points that I added
> constructing the geo file.
>
> How do I get rid of this output? Is it my mistake (e.g. somewhere a
> different setting) that output in the msh format 1.0 within gmsh 2.0.8
> is different to the output format I was used to with gmsh 1.6?

Hi Thomas - The only difference is that Gmsh 2.0 now saves all element
types in a consistent manner:

* if no physical entities are defined, Gmsh saves all the elements in
the mesh (0D, 1D, 2D and 3D)

* if physical entities are defined, only the elements belonging to
physical entities are saved.

To disable saving 1-noded (0D) elements, just define physical entities
for the ones you want to save.

Hope this helps,

Christophe