[Gmsh] The GUI suggestions + new bug

=?windows-1252?Q?Jean-Fran=8D=E7ois_Remacle?= jean-francois.remacle at uclouvain.be
Tue Dec 4 11:40:05 CET 2007

Bernhard Kubicek a écrit :
> I think he means reading and writing of vtk files (postprocessing). I
> wrote a converter of gmsh-pos format to vtk myself, which however I am
> not allowed to share without money.
> The legacy vtk file format is fairly easy:
> http://www.vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf
> It could be implemented that reading a vtk file loads a mesh, an
> multiple post-processing views.
> Also, it would be nice to being able to load some gmsh-pos files, and
> then save them alltogether in a single vtk file.

Ok.

Note that we have added the ability for gmsh to render post processing
result based on a mesh.
Files will be much smaller, of course.
We have not (yet) done any documentation but all that is in the code. At
this point, we
have not 'yet) decided which input/output format we will choose. Vtk is
a candidate.
> Alternatively, I think it would be very cool to use vtk as renderer for
> gmsh. But that would be a big change.

We have chosen NOT to do that several years ago. The reason is pretty
simple : without any
third party software, gmsh's executable size is about 2 MB. When adding
vtk, it grows to
15 MB. We think this is not acceptable.