[Gmsh] GMSH Unix

Bernhard Kubicek bernhard.kubicek at arsenal.ac.at
Fri Dec 21 12:20:31 CET 2007

Might be because of the per-default used desktop effects in Gutsy
Gibbon.
Disable them by "System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects->None".
By the problems you have, I guess you have an ATI/AMD based graphics
card.
Use synaptic to enable "restricted" and "multiverse" repositories.
Afterwards, I would recommend that you use the restricted driver manager
to install the display drivers supplied by the vendors.
You might also want to check using "glxgears" weather any 3d-accelerated
window crashes your machine.
A good guide can be found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI?highlight=%28ati
%29

very nice greetings,
 Bernhard

PS: Please also note that Linux is technically not Unix but only
"unix-like".