[Gmsh] characteristic length; algorithms

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Jan 30 08:33:21 CET 2008

Constanze Bausch wrote:
> Christoph,
>

> thanks for your reply. When I change the characteristic length factor
> for example to 0.5, I do understand, that the mesh size is going to be a
> half smaller.
>
> But how comes off the first mesh size, which is used? How is
> characteristic length defined?

When no characteristic length is given (e.g. with step files), Gmsh uses
the size of the object divided by 10. Once you set at least one char.
length (on a geometry point, using a background mesh, etc.), then this
default is ignored.

> I’m doing some evaluation and describing of mesh generation tools for my
> diploma thesis. Therefore I also describe meshing algorithms that are used.
>
> In your tool “Delaunay” for surface meshing is still experimental, as
> you say. I would like to know, which algorithm is meant by “MeshAdapt”.
> Maybe you can recommend an article about it?

This algorithm implements an original surface meshing strategy based on
the concept of local mesh modifications, which hasn't been published yet.

> And I noticed that every new mesh has a different structure, even though
> the same parameters are used. Is the reason based on an algorithm, which
> creates new points by coincidence?

Yes, the algorithm is randomized.