[Gmsh] Recombine algorithm (all quads)

Werner Trobin wtrobin at gmail.com
Thu May 15 20:30:19 CEST 2008

Dear Gmsh team,

     I browsed the Gmsh documentation and the mailing list archives,
searching for information regarding the disabled "All Quads" setting
in Options -> Mesh -> General -> Recombine algorithm.

What I would need is a quad-only mesh for a use-case comparable to
tutorial t7 in the 2.2.1 release (i.e. a rather simple 2D geometry,
but the mesh density is controlled by some external input). Using
2.2.1 and the CVS tarball from today this doesn't seem to be possible.
However, loading the t7 example in 1.65 seems to work.

I unfortunately didn't find any information on *why* this feature has
been disabled (e.g. just lacking time to port it or flaws in the
algorithm which lead to low-quality meshes in certain conditions,...).
Maybe it is also possible to estimate if/when this will be
re-introduced in the 2.x series.

Thanks in advance,
Werner