[Gmsh] 2_questions

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon May 19 19:52:31 CEST 2008

abdallah benarous wrote:
> Sir,
>
> I am a phd student and a new user of gmsh (2.0.7), I have some questions that I could not find answers in the user manual:
>
> * When installing gmsh (windows xp), no setup (nor licence file) is needed, only an "executable file" is created, I make an icon on my desktop, and run gmsh by double click. Is it the appropriate installing procedure?

yes

> * When I need to define a volume by making a surface loop, how can I identify the orientation of a surface (+, -) ??

you don't have to, but if you really want you can add a + or - sign in
front of each surface in the loop.

> * When making a mesh, is it a way to visualize the entire elements quality (and not clicking one by one ).

yes:

1) you can either directly visualize all the elements in a given quality
range, by selecting the min/max values in Options->Mesh->Visibility

2) or you can save the mesh statistics (File->Save As->Gmsh mesh
statistics) and load this file as a post-processing view. You can then
perform many kinds of operations on the data (smooth it, extract
iso-contours, etc.)

BTW, use version 2.2.0 instead of 2.0.7: it's much more stable.