[Gmsh] Error due to many volumes

Romain Quey quey at emse.fr
Mon Jun 9 07:04:31 CEST 2008

Dear Gmsh developers, dear all,

Using gmsh 2.2.0 on Linux, I'm having the following error:

$ gmsh -3 n1100-id1.geo
Info    : Parsing file 'n1100-id1.geo'
Error   : [on processor 0] Unable to open file 'n1100-id1.msh'

My geo file contains many 'Volume' definitions (1100) -- see the
attached example.

Browsing the source files, I've found that this problem probably comes
from 'Parser/Gmsh.tab.cpp':

#line 2548 "Gmsh.y"
{
       if(!strcmp((yyvsp[(1) - (3)].c), "Include")){
         char tmpstring[1024];
         FixRelativePath((yyvsp[(2) - (3)].c), tmpstring);
         // Warning: we *don't* close included files (to allow user
         // functions in these files). If you need to include many many
         // files and don't have functions in the files, use "Merge"
         // instead: some OSes limit the number of files a process can
         // open simultaneously. The right solution would be of course
         // to modify FunctionManager to reopen the files instead of
         // using the FILE pointer, but hey, I'm lazy...
         Msg(STATUS2, "Reading '%s'", tmpstring);
         ParseFile(tmpstring, 0, 1);
         SetBoundingBox();
         Msg(STATUS2, "Read '%s'", tmpstring);
       }