[Gmsh] eigenvalue + eigenvectors

Emmanuel ROBBE emmanuel.robbe at edf.fr
Fri Oct 17 17:27:58 CEST 2008

hello,

following to my previous mail, i've found a solution that could be eaysily
done (maybe?) :
is there a way (plugins) which can only keep the  values > 0 of a scalar
results and replace the others by 0. ? Same for the values <0 ?
this way by using this plugin on the eigenvalues, you can create to
results : one for the positiv values, the others fot the negativ ones. And
then by using the "evaluate" plugin and multiply theses fields with the
eigenvectors,  you can create two fields of eigenvectors corresponding to
the positive values and negatives values.

regards,

Emmanuel ROBBE

----- Réacheminé par Emmanuel ROBBE/CNEH/DE/EDFGDF/FR le 17/10/2008 17:21
-----

Emmanuel ROBBE
17/10/2008 16:41

        Pour :  gmsh at geuz.org
        cc :
        Objet : eigenvalue + eigenvectors

hello,

I'm currently working with gmsh in order to view the results of some
mechanicals problems solved with Code_Aster. First of all, i want to
congratulate you for the very good job you've done with you software :
every time I'm using it, I 'm impressed with the hign number of ways to
draw and use the results of the calculation.

In order to understand the behaviour of some concrete structure, i'm using
the plugins "eigenvalues" and "eigenvectors" in order to view the main
stress direction / vectors in the structure. Usually, i run the
eigenvectors plugins on the stress tensor with the option 'scale by
eigenvalue' but unfortunatly, with this methode, you can not know anymore
if the value is positiv or negativ, wich is very interesting for us in
order to know if there is traction or not.

The idea is to be able to represent the eigenvectors with a line with the
followings properties
 - the direction is the one of the vectors (which is already given by
eigenvectors)
 - the size is related to the value
 - the colors depends of the value : for exemple green color for positiv
value, and red for negativ. This last point can ben easily done by
choosing a custom ange with 2 intervals
So, it's a sort of mix between eigenvectors and eigenvalue : this last
option is keeping the information of the sign of the value.
I'm currently trying to use some operation with the plugins existing in
order to do it, without success for the moment.

With this tool, you can very easily and quicky see the way the force are
crossing the structure and where are the weak point.

I hope you will me able to help me. Sorry for the poor english, it would
have be more easy for me to write in french. :)

regards,

Emmanuel ROBBE

ps : actually, i've got some others questions about this type of results's
visualization  . Let me know if you are interesting.