[Gmsh] direction dependendent characteristic lengths

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Oct 17 22:19:10 CEST 2008

John Doe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in knowing if it is possible to control the
> characteristic length used for elements in a specific direction?
>
> For example, I expect that things will vary more rapidly along the x
> direction than the y direction, and I don't what to many elements in
> the y direction to bog down my solver.

You mean you'd like to generate anisotropic grids (stretched triangles)?

You can do it with the structured algorithms (Transfinite and Extrusion)
but not with the unstructured algorithms (MeshAdapt, Delaunay, Frontal).
We might add support fot this in the future but it's not a high priority
at the moment.