[Gmsh] Physical points

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon Dec 15 10:29:48 CET 2008

Martin Vymazal wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'd like to know if there's a way to force Gmsh to use certain points
> that define my geometry to become also mesh points.
>  My (2D) domain is a physical surface that contains one hole. This hole is
> defined by a physical line (spline, in fact) that passes through a large
> number of points. I'd like to use only some of these points as mesh
> nodes. I thought that making certain points 'physical' does the job, but
> apparently this doesn't work.

No, defining Physical Points will only result in their associated mesh
elements (0-D) to be saved as groups in the mesh file.

Gmsh does not enforce spline control points to be part of the 1-D mesh
(except for the first and last one). You could try to force these points
to be part of the 2D mesh with "Point{p} In Surface{s};", but this might
lead to a bad-quality mesh depending on your choice of element sizes.

Christophe