[Gmsh] Comments in .msh files

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 27 04:09:31 CET 2008

In Section 1.8 of the manual dated 2008 Nov 21 it says 'All Gmsh ASCII
text input files support both C and C++ style comments' but a message
dated 2008 Nov 19 says 'you cannot add comments in .msh files! (I've
added a note in the doc to make this clear.)'. Is that added note in
the documentation somewhere that I haven't found?

Are there plans to add the possibility of comments in .msh files?
I've just added an export-to-gmsh feature to my software and it would
be very useful to be able to include history comments. (A student of
mine did a comparison of several mesh generators and concluded that
Gmsh is the best for our purposes, and a couple of other students then
used it. I'm finally getting there myself! Thanks for the great
software.)

- Robert