[Gmsh] Adaptive views

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Dec 28 12:01:02 CET 2008

Karin&NiKo wrote:
> Dear Gmsh Gurus,
>
> I am very interested in the your high order adaptive views (though I am
> mainly interested in second order fields).
> I would like to know which kinds of views this is working with, what are
> the main options and essentially if it makes sense to try to integrate
> it as a Gmsh file format in a finite element software?
>
> Happy new year to all of you! Long life to Gmsh!

Hello Nicolas - For standard (e.g. P2) finite elements you won't have to
change anything in your codes: Gmsh will know the function spaces and
the adaptive stuff will work out-of-the box with any format (MSH, MED,
etc.). Right now the function spaces are only implemented for simplices
(lines, triangles, tetrahedra); we still need to implement high-order
hexahedra and prisms. If you have some spare time... :-)

Attached is a very simple example in MSH format: load the file and go to
Tools->Options->View. Then select "Adapt visualization grid" and select
the maximum recursion level and the visualization error: et voilà !

For more exotic finite elements you will have to define the function
spaces "by hand" in the input files. We haven't finalized the format yet
for MSH; there is a sample implementation for the old parsed POS format
in the code.

Cheers,

Christophe