[Gmsh] Characteristic Lengths with PostView

Giulio Gariano giulio.gariano at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:10:51 CET 2009

(first of all... I'm Italian, and I can't speak English very well... I
apologize for that...)

I'm using Gmsh for my thesis' work.

I'm very satisfied of the program.

At the moment, my problem is mesh's refinement.

I've written a finite element code, and I have a local indicator of the
error. I'd like to reduce the dimension of tetrahedra in the region
where the error seems to be high.

I encounter difficulties in that. I believe the postview field specification
may help me, because I can attribute a value to each node of the primitive
mesh, according to the error I found, so I'd like to re-generating the mesh
according to these values.

Read the manual, but I found it not very clear. Exactly, what I have to do?

What kind of file do I have to open in Gmsh? There must be the nodes (of the
primitive mesh) and the values, ok... Also the elements (of the primitive
mesh)?

In which format? The same of a classical output?

After I have loaded the file, what do I have to do in the mesh section?

Hope to receive help...

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards