[Gmsh] [PROBLEM] Elements normals

Xavier Mencaglia xavier.mencaglia at cenaero.be
Thu Mar 12 10:09:37 CET 2009

Dear,

I'm currently using the version 2.2.4 of GMSH to mesh a stp file which
was created by Catia V5 R18.
When I check the normals of the surfaces of the step file, they are well
oriented.
And then I mesh the step file (2D mesh - triangle elements only)  and I
check the normals of the elements. I can see some normals that were
inverted during the meshing operations. So some normals remain stable,
pointing in the same direction as the normals in the step file and some
normals are inverted.
It's a little bit problematic for me because I'm working with composites
so I need to know and control the normals of the FE. The stacking
sequence is strongly dependent on normals orientation especially if
composites are not symmetric.

So I have 2 questions about that:

1/ Is this problem well known and is it linked to the way the mesh is
performed ?
2/ If  this situation is normal, could you explain me why some normals
are inverted ? What is the rule that pilots this mechanism ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Kind regards,

*Ir Xavier Mencaglia
Research Engineer
Multiscale Materials Modeling Group
Cenaero - Research Center
Building Eole, 2nd floor
Rue des Frères Wright, 29
B-6041, Gosselies *

*Phone: +32(0) 71 91 93 69
Fax: +32(0) 71 91 93 31

Website: www.cenaero.com

<http://www.cenaero.com/>*
delivery of the message to such person), you may not print, retain, copy
nor disseminate this message or any part of it to anyone and you should
notify the sender by reply email and destroy this message. Neglecting
this clause could be a breach of confidence. Please advise immediately
if you or your employer does not consent to Internet email for messages
of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message that are not related to the official business of my firm shall
be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

**