[Gmsh] space frames physicals and examples

jean pierre aubry jeanpierre at lamachine.fr
Mon Mar 23 15:10:00 CET 2009

Hello

Following my previous posts about Physical and space frames here is an example of a structure I have just finished analyzing, file ciel5

You can see the difficulties by looking at the Physical Line "bolts" and "pin" which as their names mean are connecting bolts and rotational free pins.

I did that with the function removeDouble

They are so small that could be easily selected with the nearby element in an other group.

In the design process of such a structure one keeps adding members to the frames sometimes they cross each others, a connecting point would be useful

The function intersectTwoLines might be useful

removeDouble

is an example of a function remove all the elements of a Physical "b" from a Physical "a" to create a new one named "a_claened"

however strange things happen to the Physical names

see the comments in the file.

intersectTWoLines

is an example of a function creating points at the intersection (or pseudo intersection) of two straight lines

This function is very useful when one wants to add new members crossing each others to a given space frame.

Consider adding something like it to Gmsh??

Note:

The "ciel5" example is a real life structure.

It is the stage or room of the major event of the "Festival d'Avignon" ( in july2009) named Ciels of Wajdi Mouawad.

Due quote of Gmsh will be made in the mandatory design calculation documents.

jean pierre aubry