[Gmsh] surface plots and raise

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sat Apr 4 14:18:32 CEST 2009

Umut Tabak wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to plot some pressure distribution variations in a simple
> fuselage model. However since the pressure fluctuations are small, I
> could not find a suitable raise parameter on the transfo tab of the view

Hi Umut - Do you mean that you cannot select an appropriate value? (By
sliding the mouse? You can just type in numbers manually...)

To apply the same options to many views at once, select the appropriate
"link" in Tools->Options->Post-pro.

Attached is a script that gives nice results on your dataset:

gmsh fus.opt fuselageRst.msh

Using demo/anim.script with these options creates the following movie:

http://geuz.org/gmsh/beta/animation.mpg

> options. And also there are some circumferential lines that are drawn
> around the result plot which I did not understand the functionality of
> which.

This is because you have line elements in your mesh, so Gmsh also
displays the solution on these. Applying a "normal raise" on lines is a
bit special, since the normal is not uniquely defined for lines.

Two solutions: 1) apply the raise in a specific direction, or 2) just
don't draw the lines ("View.DrawLines = 0;" in the attached script).