[Gmsh] Preventing gmsh from adding additional nodes to surface edges composed of line segments

Knell, Sascha Sascha.Knell at emi.fraunhofer.de
Sun Apr 12 14:19:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

I intend to use gmsh in batch mode to mesh polygonal plane surfaces whereas nodes of the final mesh may only lie on predefined, equally spaced spots on the straight edges of the surface. The distance of these spots may not differ by more than factor two on the different edges of the surface. I tried to realize this by constructing an edges from several aligned lines and setting the minimum / maximum characteristic length to the minimum / maximum desired node distance. Regrettably, some of the longer lines exhibited additional nodes after meshing. I guess that I have misinterpreted the meaning of the characteristic length.

Triangle, by Jonathan Richard Shewchuk, has an option to prevent the generation of additional nodes on line segments. Is there a way achieving the same in gmsh? I would prefer to use gmesh, since eyeball comparison indicates that gmsh produces meshes of better quality.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sascha Knell