[Gmsh] Connecting faces.

Mark van Doesburg mark.van.doesburg at technolution.nl
Thu Apr 16 16:24:15 CEST 2009

Hello Billy,

There is also the BRL-CAD engine. It is, however, a true solid modelling
engine and as such not suitable for direct integration with gmsh. They
are working on a BREP representation of their models however. I am not
sure what the status is.

Initially I planned on using the BRL raytracer in combination with CGAL to
generate a surface mesh.  The CGAL people are also working on a volume
mesher which accepts piecewise smooth models with multiple regions,
which would have been a perfect match. But I don't have time to wait.

The OCC approach seemed much nicer once I found out about it. I have
learned something I guess ;-)

Don't hold your breath for commercial CAD engines to become free.

regards,

Mark van Doesburg

Billy Araujo <billyaraujo at gmail.com> wrote:

	OpenCascade is the ONLY open source CAD kernel that I know of. Of
	course it would be nice if Parasolid/Spatial were also open source.

	At least some CAD companies could do like id software does in games
	which is: exploit a technology commercially and then release old
	versions as open source. Maybe a 6 year old parasolid version would be
	better than what is available now.

	Regards,

	Billy.