[Gmsh] Compilation with Opencascade fails (Debian Lenny)

Mike B. mb78aa at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 09:20:00 CEST 2009

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

This hack indeed solved those compilation errors:
cd /usr/include/opencascade
ln -s /usr/include/opencascade ./inc

During compilation there are lots of warnings of the form:
deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
I eliminated those by adding -Wno-write-strings to the compiler flags in the `variables' file:
FLAGS= -Wno-write-strings -I/usr/include/freetype2 -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/opencascade/inc

You may want to include these two hacks to the Gmsh scripts.

Gmsh compiles fine but when I try to open an IGES file it gives an error in the `message console' window:
Info    : Reading '/home/mike/o.iges'
Error   : Gmsh has to be compiled with OpenCascade support to load '/home/mike/o.iges'
Info    : Read '/home/mike/o.iges'

Also, the first few lines in the message console are:
Info    : -------------------------------------------------------
Info    : Gmsh version   : 2.2.3
Info    : Build OS       : Linux
Info    : Build options  : GSL NETGEN JPEG PNG ZLIB MATHEVAL ANN
Info    : Build date     : Tue Jul 15 10:55:18 CEST 2008
Info    : Build host     : eta
Info    : Packager       : prudhomm
Info    : Home directory : /home/mike/
Info    : Launch date    : Fri Jun 12 16:05:39 2009
Info    : Command line   : gmsh

The `Build options' line is much shorter than that reported by .configure:

Gmsh has been configured for Linux with the following options: Fltk TreeBrowser Jpeg Png Ann Gmm Chaco Metis Netgen MathEval Occ Libz Blas Lapack

Shouldn't the message console show the same build options, or at least OCC as well? why can't it open the IGES file?.

Thanks for your help,
Mike.