[Gmsh] How to separate faces in an *.STL file

Alexandre Pereira iskandhar2000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:07:38 CEST 2009

Hi Forum

I want to use GMSH to mesh *.stl files that have been built elsewhere ( In
BRL CAD to be more exact ) which will be used as models for FEA analysis in
Code Aster.

I want to export them in *.med format containing the mesh info as well as
some topological info about physical lines/surfaces/volumes.

In GMSH, I can import the *.stl, define a volume using the *.stl boundary,
mesh/refine the boundary, and mesh/refine the created volume, what i cannot
( do not know how to ...) do is to separate the boundary of my *stl in
primitive faces to give the a physical meaning ( they will be used on
Boundary condition addressing in ASTER ), can this be done in GMSH, or sould
I build my geometry in GMSH prior to do all this...?

My maisn issue is that BRL CAD contains some 3D primitives that do not exist
in GMSH, like elliptical/hyperbolic cones generalyzed ellipsoids, etc, and I
use the generated surfaces in my *.stl as boundaries in some of my
models....

Can someone please help...?

Best regards

Alex