[Gmsh] gmsh

Joakim Sandström joakim.sandstrom at brandskyddslaget.se
Fri Jul 24 12:49:38 CEST 2009

Dear sir

I have become a fond user of gmsh when creating geometries for thermal calculations. I've run in to trouble in these calculations when the temperature gradient is very steep with a mesh that is to coarse. The problem is that I do not need a fine mesh anywhere else but close to the certain boundaries where the temperature gradient is steep. Creating a fine mesh in the whole volume demands to much computational time. Is there a way to separately specify the grid size within different physical groups?

Is there also a way to specify which types of element to be generated? I would like to be able to produce only prisms or hexahedrons. I'm using Gmsh as a mesh generator for SAFIR (a thermal and mechanical FEM-solver for fire exposed structures developed at University of Liege) and it can only understand prisms and hexahedrons in the 3-D case.

Best regards
Joakim Sandström
PhD student at Luleå University of Technology