[Gmsh] Transfinite line algorithm

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Wed Jul 29 10:25:28 CEST 2009

Martin Vymazal wrote:
> Dear gmsh users,
>
>  I'm trying to generate a second order (P2) unstructured mesh around a
> symmetric airfoil. I managed to create a mesh which is fine so far, but
> I would like to control precisely the number of points on the airfoil.
> To make things a bit more complicated, I'd also like to have more points
> close to the leading and trailing edges of the airfoil. I thought I
> could use the transfinite algorithm with 'progression' or 'bump'
> options, but the progression gives me a bad mesh for a progression ratio
> which is not close to 1.0 (I attached my *.geo files, progression 1.3 at
> the end of the naca0012 geo file already gives strange results.

Hi Martin,

I think displaying the nodes of the 1D mesh on the lines with "shift-alt-p" or Tools->Options->Mesh->Visibility->Nodes
could help you understanding what happens, the way "bump" and "progression" works in Gmsh and what you call "strange"
results (I see what you mean).

http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh-full.html#SEC45

The optional argument `Using Progression expression' instructs the transfinite algorithm to distribute the nodes
following a geometric progression (Progression 2 meaning for example that each line element in the series will be twice
as long as the preceding one). The optional argument `Using Bump expression' instructs the transfinite algorithm to
distribute the nodes with a refinement at both ends of the line.

and if you search for "bump" in the mailing-list archives, you get this:

http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2008/003526.html

btw , point 5000 is exactly the same as point 381. It is perhaps not a problem but you should avoid it.

Cheers,

Dave

--
David Colignon, Ph.D.