[Gmsh] Surface mesh of an STL model

Mike B. mb78aa at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 11:14:51 CEST 2009

Dear All,

I have an STL model which I load (with the `Merge' command)  into Gmsh. The model is a boundary representation (a shell).

When meshing this model (and others), the mesh on the surface of the model seems fixed and unaffected by the characteristic length settings. Any suggestions how to control this surface mesh (preferably with fields)?.

Here is a simple script which loads `sph.stl', a sphere shell in saved STL format:

Mesh.CharacteristicLengthFromPoints = 0;
Mesh.CharacteristicLengthExtendFromBoundary = 1;
Mesh.CharacteristicLengthFromCurvature = 0;
Mesh.Format = 1;
Mesh.CharacteristicLengthMin = 0.01;
Mesh.CharacteristicLengthMax = 0.05;
Merge "sph.stl";