[Gmsh] Compatible mesh - Import step geometry

Zenker, Matthias Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.de
Mon Sep 7 12:49:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

I had (and still have) the same problem (haven't worked with gmsh for some time, but the problem will pop up again when I restart).
I am using elmerfem for my simulations. The mesh import can be told to remove duplicate and closely neighboring points in meshes to a certain degree. But this function has its limits, especially when the mesh widths differ.
Wasn't there a patch in gmsh permitting to clean up duplicate faces?
AFAIK it is not possible in a 3D CAD model in STEP format to do that (at least that is what my colleagues using SolidWorks say), so it would have to be done by processing the imported STEP geometry in gmsh.

A solution within gmsh would be most useful.

Matthias

>Hi,
>
>no, it is not possible to "force" compatibilty. You have to define explicitely in your CAD model the
>common overlaping
>face between your two plates, and use it to define your two volumes.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Dave
>
>--
>David Colignon, Ph.D.
>Collaborateur Logistique du F.R.S.-FNRS
>CÉCI - Consortium des Équipements de Calcul Intensif
>ACE - Applied & Computational Electromagnetics
>Institut Montefiore B28
>Université de Liège
>4000 Liège - BELGIQUE
>Tél: +32 (0)4 366 37 32
>Fax: +32 (0)4 366 29 10
>WWW:    http://hpc.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/
>Agenda: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=david.colignon%40gmail.com
>

>dvioleau wrote:
> Hello
> I merge a step geometry consisting of 2 plates. I save the file in .geo
> format.
> When I mesh the geometry, meshes are not compatible between the two
> plates. Is it possible to force compatibility. See in attachement the
> initial step file.
> Thank you in advance
>
> David

ERBE Elektromedizin GmbH
Dr.rer.nat. Matthias Zenker
Dipl. Phys.
Grundlagenentwicklung Technologie
Waldhoernlestrasse 17
72072 Tuebingen
Phone + 49 7071 - 755 226
Fax + 49 7071 - 755 5226
mailto:Matthias.Zenker at ERBE-med.de
www.ERBE-med.de

ERBE Elektromedizin GmbH
Firmensitz: 72072 Tuebingen
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian O. Erbe, Reiner Thede
Registergericht: Stuttgart HRB 380137