[Gmsh] Mesh generate in STEP or IGES file

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Oct 25 01:23:38 CEST 2009

Hu Fangjing wrote:
> Dear Sir:
>
> As far as I know, .geo file could not support curve surface, so many
> of my models could not be imported into gmsh correctly. I wanna know
> if GMSH can mesh the .STEP file or IGES file directly? And how to

You should never "translate" your models into .geo format: to load a
.step or an .iges file just open it... that's it.

> control the Characteristic Length in a IGES file?

The same way as for other models: all the mesh size functions are
available for all model types. To use the geo-type scripting commands on
a .step file, you can e.g. write a .geo file that contains

   Merge "file.step";
   // geo scripting command here...