[Gmsh] Incorrect display of physical group name whose id is shared with another group of different dimension

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 24 12:13:03 CET 2009

I sent the following mail yesterday but seems to have been lost. Sorry
if this is (will be) a duplicate (p.s. thanks for the fix about the
format version problem).

Hi,

1. Please find and gunzip the attached Mesh_1.med.gz. The mesh has
   physical groups Surface_1 and Surface_2 for the surface elements
   with IDs 1 and 2, and Volume_1 for the entire volume with ID 1. I
   am not so familiar with the MED format, but that's what I see in
   the physical name definitions when it is converted to the Gmsh
   format.
2. Start gmsh, open Mesh_1.med
3. Tools->Visibility
4. Choose Physical groups at the bottom of the List browser tab

Then you will see the entity Number 1 of Type Surface is listed as
Volume_1, which in fact should be Surface_1. On the contrary, if you
move to the Tree browser tab you will see Physical Surface 1 is named
as Surface_1 as expected.

Tested with Gmsh 2.4.2 and 2.4.3-svn as of today on Linux.

Regards,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN