[Gmsh] Format Mesh and Boundary Conditions

Adam Larat adam.larat at inria.fr
Tue Dec 1 15:31:51 CET 2009

Hello you all,
I hope I am not speaking about a subject that has already been discussed.
I am using the "*.mesh" format for my meshes because I find this format
really easy to read. I have noticed that in this format the boundary
edges are not tagged by the number of the physical entity they belong
to, but by the number of the line they belong to.

Here is a small example :
I have generated a very awful mesh with the Carre.geo file attached by
command
"gmsh-2.4.2 -2 -o Carre.mesh -format mesh Carre.geo"
and obtained the mesh described in Carre.mesh.
I got 12 edges :

 Edges
 12
 1 2 1
 2 3 2
 3 4 3
 4 1 4
 5 9 6
 9 6 6
 6 10 7
 10 7 7
 7 11 8
 11 8 8
 8 12 9
 12 5 9

that are tagged by the line they belong to and not by the physical tag I
gave to those lines :

Physical Line(1) = {1,2,3,4};
Physical Line(2) = {6,7,8,9};

The same for the triangles that are tagged by the number of the surface
they belong to (1) and not by the physical tag of this surface (0).

Is there any reason for that ? Maybe there exists a option that allows
me to take those physical tags into account ?

Thanks,

Adam