[Gmsh] RE : stl and prism extrusion

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Sat Dec 12 18:09:42 CET 2009

On 12/12/09 14:18, Hoessler, Julien wrote:
> Hi David,
> Thanks for the quick answer. The stl importation crashes with the stl file or a msh file obtained from the stl,

Hi Julien,

does it print an error message before crashing ?

> but I guess that's because my stl is too fine (214K elements), I'll try again with a coarser mesh.
> As far as the prism extrusion is concerned,it works well and after recombining, the prism look perfectly fine on a curved surface, except that I get errors telling me that the prisms are degenerated. Is it an unnecessary warning or should I be worried?

Can you send a copy of these warnings ?

> I also have a bonus question if you don't mind.

You're welcome

>When I generate the extrusion of the surfaces and put them on a list surf[], is it possible to access the edges and vertices of the top surfaces to define the volume above?

No. But the Tools -> Visibility -> Tree browser can help tou to quickly retrieve it.

>I could extrude the edges and vertices too but it would mean that some entities would be duplicated.

Not necessarily, after each extrusion operation, Gmsh issues the "Coherence;" command which should eliminate duplicated
entities.

Regard,

Dave