[Gmsh] mesh problem

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Fri Dec 18 09:17:40 CET 2009

On 17/12/09 18:36, stefano zinna wrote:
> Dear Sirs.
>
> I converted a .stl file into .geo
> (https://download.yousendit.com/Z01NSU5OOW5samQzZUE9PQ) for gmsh.

Hi Stefano,

very nice geometry !

Are you *sure* that each line shared by two triangles is only defined once ? (it seems to be the case...)

I'm
> able to generate the surface mesh but it is not able to recognize the
> volume. Is it a problem in the file or it depends on the complexity of
> the geometry?

When you try to create the volume with the GUI and you click on a first surface, you can see that almost all the
surfaces are then selected and change color to red. But the GUI keep asking to select volume boundary to fully close the
volume. Due to the complexity of the geometry, it is very difficult to detect with the eye by zooming on every part of
the geometry if some surfaces are missing, so I cannot see there is a real problem in the geometry or if some surfaces
are left unselected...

Converting your CAD file to the STL format and then converting it to .geo is not the best solution. Do you have access
to the original CAD file ? Can you try to export it to the STEP format instead ?

Regards,

Dave

--
David Colignon, Ph.D.