[Gmsh] a mesh problem

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Mon Mar 29 16:53:19 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to model a 2 domain problem for a simple 2d academic case
study. I have a structural region on the upper side of the model, and a
fluid domain below. However there is a problem with the element node
orders in domains of fluid and structure. You can see the what I mean in
the attached png. 1 is the structural domain and 2 is the fluid domain.
But there is a problem which I could not solve, if I create the two
surfaces separately and mesh them, I am getting the node orders of
region 1 wrong. What I mean is: for instance for an element, say 326, in
domain 2, I get

393____412
|              |
|              |
|392___411

and the ordering in the msh file is

 326 3 3 1 10 0 392 411 412 393

But for an element in domain 1, say 785,

813____822
812____821

but the ordering in the msh file is given as

785 3 3 2 11 0 812 813 822 821

I did not understand the cause of this problem I am facing.

Most probably, there is sth I am missing in the definitions of the
domains and line loops but could not find myself. geo file is also attached.

Any help is appreciated, thx in advance and regards,

Umut