[Gmsh] How to choose an element type in non-interactive mode

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Wed Mar 31 22:36:35 CEST 2010

Wojciech Artichowicz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask how to choose an element type in non-interactive mode.
>
> I haven’t found it in help nor in tutorial or reference manual.
>
> How can I for example choose triangles or quads of 2 order (complete).

Hi

as far as I know, gmsh is an unstructured mesh generator, so by default
that generates triangular meshes(in 2D). By 'transfinite' definition
triangles are combined into quads(I hope this is not wrong, anyway
developers will comment on that.)

> So far I’ve managed to create only triangle mesh, and if elements were
> of order higher than one, they were always incomplete.

There should be transfinite examples to generate quad meshes in the
tutorials. Mesh order could be set with the options, I have used this
before but do not remember now, sth like secondOrder complete, you can
set that to 1 or 0 depending on the choice, that should be in the manual.

HTH,
Umut