[Gmsh] Trouble meshing 3d shape in "wind tunnel"

Bob Basham bob at whitecloudaviation.com
Mon Nov 1 22:13:55 CET 2010

Hi All,

     I am pretty new to CFD in general.  Just starting to figure out
gmsh in order to run some simulations using ELMER.  I need to put a 3d
shape inside of  a wind tunnel.  I have created the shape in Rhino 3d
and finally have success with importing to gmsh as a STEP file (IGES
gave all sorts of little holes in surface).  I have tried and tried to
get a 3d mesh of the volume inside the "tunnel" and outside the shape,
no luck.  I am sure that I am missing something basic.  Can someone
point me in the right direction.  I have lastly tried merging a STP of
the "tunnel" with a STP of the surface, but can't get a 3d mesh of the
inside.  I get a self intersecting error.  I have successfully used a
half model (like symmetry), the surface and tunnel are joined at the
middle.  I would like to have my surface suspended in the tunnel
though.  Thank you very much!

--
Bob Basham