[Gmsh] Unstructured hexahedra mesh from STL geometry

Meiner Auchmeiner auchmeiner at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:25:48 CET 2010

Hi gmsh group,

I was wondering if anybody here succeeded to mesh a STL geometry with
an unstructured mesh consisting of hexahedra elements. I'm trying to
mesh following file(s) using standard settings, except for the
subdivision algorithm "All hexas": 500.stl & 500.geo (see attachment).
I'm always getting the error messages "Error: Cannot evaluate point on
discrete face" and "Error: Cannot compute parametric coordinates on
discrete face".  Whereas meshing the STL geometry with tetrahedron
elements work like a charm. Is there any intermediate step necessary
to optimize (maybe with e.g. MeshLab) the input STL geometry? Or is
there any gmsh preprocessing option/conversion I overlooked ?

Thanks
Uwe

P.S.: The skeleton data have been obtained by courtesy of S. Van Sint
Jan, Laboratory of Anatomy, Biomechanics and Organogenesis, Université
Libre de Bruxelles.