[Gmsh] Identify the node

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Wed Feb 9 02:12:20 CET 2011

2011/2/9 Gossouhon SITIONON <gossouhon.sitionon at gmail.com>:
> Hello,

Hello.  I've moved this discussion back to the list.  It's best to ask
there, since I might not know the answer while someone else does.  Or
if I do know the answer, it'll be archived and then might help another
reader in the future.

> Please SIR,  in my file joined i want to know
> what designate the node
> in the part
> Element
> -
> -
> -
> EndElement.
>
> we can see 6 number on some lines
> or 7 number on some lines
> or 8 number on some lines
> and i don't know where are the node of a element in these different lines
>
> That is the first thing to know before creating the format.

Yes, indeed. The format of the .msh file is described at
http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#MSH-ASCII-file-format.

> I need a mesh file like this:
>
> node_number  coordx   coordy
>
> Element_number   node1  node2   node3.

Yes.  You'll see that the coordx and coordy are the second and third
fields of the records in the Nodes block, while node1, node2, and
node3 are the last three fields of those records in the Elements block
which have 2 for the second field (meaning that those records
correspond to three-node triangles).  You'll find that this is all
explained in greater detail in the manual, at the link above.

Bon courage.

Geordie