[Gmsh] Intersecting / Nested Volumes

Steven Vandekerckhove steven.vandekerckhove at student.kuleuven.be
Mon Mar 21 16:15:52 CET 2011

Dear All,

I need to make a model of a circulator, in order to do this I need to be
able to mesh nested volumes,
unfortunatly I do not succeed in this.

I've attached a simplified file to illustrate the problem:

there is a big cube with a small one inside, and now I want to mesh these.

When you 3D-mesh the attached file, only the inner cube gets meshed.

When the innercube is not translated to the middle, I get the error
about intersecting volumes,
however, in my actual model, I will need to do this.

Please note that the use of the extrusion function is vital for my
actual problem (where the shapes are more complicated)

So I have the following 2 questions:

1) What has to be done to mesh both cubes in the attached file?
2) What has to be done to mesh both cubes in the attached file, IF the
middle cube touches the outer cube with one , two or three facets?

Thanks in advance!

Steven Vandekerckhove