[Gmsh] importing .step files with multiple parts whose surfacestouch

Vandevender, Brent A Brent.Vandevender at pnl.gov
Sat Apr 2 00:42:32 CEST 2011

Thank you for your reply Matthias.  I specifically had you and Mark van Doesburg in mind when I posed the question.  I have followed your posts in the archives and hoped that there was some progress.  I have only recently realized the gravity of my problem and start to appreciate the astronomically high price of the commercial electricity and magnetism FEM package I am trying not to have to buy (Maxwell3D).  It seems I will take some effort to solve the problem myself, as you have.  The best solution, I think,  is to fix the 2D surface meshes created by gmsh with a separate self-written code and re-import to gmsh as you describe in option 2.  I can imagine how the algorithm will work, but also that it will take the age of the universe to complete for a realistic geometry.  My intention was to be a mere consumer of finite-element methods, and I don't know where I will find the time to become a producer.