[Gmsh] GMSH crashes

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Thu May 12 05:36:28 CEST 2011

2011/5/12 Gmsh User <amrit_pou at hotmail.com>:
> Hello GMSH users,
> I noticed that GMSH crashes every time I try to optimize first order tetrahedral
> mesh of the geometry that is attached at the end of this post. I tried GMSH's
> Optimize 3D and also Netgen Optimizer, however, both of them crashed on me.
> Is there anyway to fix this problem? Tetrahedrons obtained from preliminary
> meshing in GMSH are of poor quality because I get errors when I try to compute
> barycentric coordinates from these tetrahedrons.
> Any help/suggestions will be appreciated !

I started running your test case with "gmsh -3 -optimize test.geo"
before I went to lunch and on my return, I see it's still running and
has now clocked up ninety minutes.  I'm not sure whether it's making
any progress.  Did your run crash as in terminate prematurely or
appear to hang?

I reran it after changing lc to 1.0 and then 0.5 and it ran fine,
successfully generating coarse meshes test.msh with 1530 and 2973
elements, respectively, in a few seconds.  I'm using a Gmsh compiled
from the svn repository, updated yesterday, on 64-bit Linux Mint 9.